Jimena Fernanda Aquino Caya
I enjoyed this group project first of all because everyone in my groups was able to participate and do their own part how they liked it, we communicated and gave everyone a each section so they can work on it, my leader was always asking how we were doing and was there to help.
My groups talked about groups, I had to do some research about support groups and social groups which was pretty easy.
My leader added some clear and concise videos to help my classmates understand a little bit more.
This activity definitely helped us to practice how to make a presentation and how to present in front of more people and be clear about our ideas.
Group number one showed us a lot of videos which I really liked since I feel like I’m more of a visual learner, every piece of information was clear, and they even added a chart.
Group number one did chapter three and was based about Intercultural communication, which was a very expense theme but really interesting at the same time.
They included the problems of language barriers, different types of cultures and how do they affect everyone.
What is the cultural identity and why is it important, ethnicity and race, sex and gender, religion, are some of the other themes that their presentation took part of?
They also included sexual orientation and how is being more acceptable to have another sexual preference that is not straight, but this depends on the country that you’re in and their beliefs.
Group number three did group leadership and problem solving, and I feel like apart from the theme that my group had this is the second theme most important that is going to help us in the future. They talked about how important is to have a leader and why do we need it. How to solve problem in the best way and why is it better to work as a group and get to and agreement than fight and lose time.
They also showed us videos and did a great presentation in my opinion; everyone got to talk and present their points of view on different parts of the presentation which was really interesting and fun.
This assignment definitely helped me to realize that I would like to work and participate more in groups it is just more fun to have other people’s opinion on top of yours that helps you work, if you don’t know something or need help, you have a group of people that are there for you, you work in teams and everyone is wanting the same result, put a good presentation and show the professor how good you understood the theme of course adding your own twist to it.
I also didn’t notice at first but assignment helped us to build more confidence in ourselves, to work in groups and to be able to present something to the class, I know this may be harder for some students than to others, but at the end everyone did a good job!
We were able to follow instructions and this assignment started in the break out rooms, we were able to choose a leader and separate our assignment so nobody had to do more work than the other one, we had to read the chapter to be familiar with and be able to explain to our classmates what we learned in our own words, we each one had a minimum of 3 slides which was the best so that every group had time to present in the same class.
Our professor also made sure to let us know that we didn’t have to fill our slide with information, that it was better if we added charts or graphics and then we could explain what they meant and why we choose them.
Another good thing about this assignment is that we were able to work on it during class, so we had enough time to finish it, and not a lot of homework, our professor made sure to let us know that we were going to do great and she also was always there for us in case we had any questions.
If we finish on time, we were also able to practice our presentation by rehearsal in front of our group to get honest feedback and more tips if we needed to add something.
The theme that we got definitely helped to do a good job, so I think we were really lucky.
It also teaches so many new things, I didn’t know that they also had support groups for the friends or loved one of someone suffering from addiction, I thought that they only had support groups for the person with addiction, but it makes sense since it is a long process and the family and loved ones are also involved in the whole process.
My only least favorite part of the project that to be honest I didn’t enjoy at all not even a tiny bit was definitely doing this essay, like I get it shows if we understood all the groups presentation, but I’m personally not a big fan of essays, specially such a long one because I ran out of ideas really quick and I don’t think I’m that creative, also my English is not my first language is my second, which makes it harder to think in Spanish and have to translate it to English at the same time while trying to make a sentence that makes sense and has good information at the same time.
Apart from that this was a really fun assignment and I understand that not always I’m going to do things I like or enjoy, that sometimes you just have to do other things in order to learn, I can’t wait for the next group project and the new theme of conversation, I look forward to learn more about different themes ! J
Comments
Post a Comment